- ‘Systemic changes in the supply side and their effects on the downside economy of second-hand clothes’ at the workshop La Fripe du Nord au Sud, Institute for Advanced Studies (IMERA), Marseille. 5th April 2017.
Selected past talks
- ‘Circulating cast-off clothing: reaching the point of no return?’ at Down the Pan: New Directions in the Sociology of Dirt, University of Glasgow, supported by The Sociological Review Foundation, 20th March 2017.
- ‘The emerging politics of the global second-hand clothing trade: to reuse or to recycle?’ Paper given at the workshop Suitcases and Containers: Considering Trade, Migration and Urban Change, Laboratoire Interdisciplinaire d’Études Urbaines (LIEU) de la Maison de Sciences Humaines, Universite libre de Bruxelles. 12th December 2016.
- ‘Unsustainable Circulations? The Indian Textile Recycling Economy’. Seminar at the Center for Critical Heritage Studies, University of Gothenburg. 27th September 2016
- Everything Must Go! Putting the second-hand clothing trade on display’, presented at the seminar series ‘Surplus, Rags and Fashion: the Worlds of Secondhand Clothes’ at MuCEM, Marseilles, France. 27th March 2015.
- ‘Re-circulations: Refashioning Value in the Global Second-hand Clothing trade’, presented at the panel ‘Fashion in Motion: Beyond East meets West’ at the Asian Studies Association-in-Asia conference at the Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, 17-19th July 2014.
- ‘Second-hand clothing and the Limits of Ethicality’. Invited paper presented at the Geoforum conference Ethical consumption and the Globalising Middle classes, Dept. of Geography, Durham University, UK. 8-9th July 2014.
- ‘Second-hand Clothing Markets in India’, presented at the conference Informal and Everyday Markets: Modern Histories of Indian Business and Entrepreneurship since the C19, Centre for Modern Indian Studies (CeMIS) and Institute for Economic and Social History, Georg-August Universität Göttingen, Germany. 18-20th June 2014.
- ‘Thrift, charity and commerce: markets and the production of moral value’ presented in absentia at the panel ‘Visibilization and Concealment: Social Critique and Anthropologies of Value’ at the American Ethnological Society (AES). Society for Visual Anthropology (SVA) Spring conference, Boston, USA.10-12th April 2014.
- ‘Unravelling Waste Economies’. Invited paper presented at ‘Alternative and Emerging Economies of Design’, Papanek Symposium 2013, Victor J. Papanek Foundation, University of Applied Arts Vienna, Austria. 14-15th November 2013.
- ‘The textile recycling industry in India: the destruction of value?’ Invited paper for a workshop on Second-hand Circulations in Global History, Tokyo International University, February 4th 2012, and the symposium Consuming textiles through their uses and reuses, National Museum of Ethnology (Minpaku), Osaka, Japan. 7-8th February 2012.
- ‘Recycling economies: materializing the moral ambiguities of reprocessing secondhand clothing in India’, Invited paper presented at the Ethnologisches Seminar, Universität Zürich, Switzerland. 22nd November 2011.
- Global economies of moral fibre: materializing the ambiguities of recycling charity clothing into humanitarian aid blankets’, presented at the German Anthropological Association (GAA-DGV) Congress in Vienna, Austria. 14th to 17th September 2011
- ‘Remains or Resource? Alternative perspectives on dirt and the success of used clothing transformations in India’, presented at the conference Recycling Textile Technologies, UCL organised by L.Norris & J.Botticelli as part of the ESRC-funded Waste of the World project. 14th June 2010.
- ‘Ruins or revivals: competing visions for a declining handloom industry in north Kerala’; Invited paper for the workshop Globalisation in/and Mofussil India in the Department of Anthropology, London School of Economics & Politics, UK. 6-7th July 2009.